Getting the right products is essential, these are the formulas that will help to set your hair (we’ll learn that ‘recipe’ tomorrow in the hair prep section of this course!). I’ve included products I use often but there’s many many more that will do the job. During the course videos I’ll also be revealing for the first time ever more information on our new Le Keux Cosmetics hair product range, which I’m so excited about! It’s not quite ready yet so grab these alternatives in the meantime.
Here’s the three basic essentials you’ll need for the course!
got2b – glued – £3.22
Dry shampoo – £6 (extra large can)
Modern pinup hair is all about taking your styling to new heights and for some people that’s easier said than done with their own hair thickness or tecturem but we’re here to prove anyone can get big hair, you just need to do a little extra prep work!
If you have fine or baby soft hair try using a volumising spray throughout your roots and length to add fullness to your hair before you start styling. This sort of product will also help improve your backcombing intensity and staying power as it adds more texture to hair so your brush has more to grip into as you tease!
For thick hair, you don’t need to do much prep, luck you! But you will need to use a great setting spray when curling as your curls can be more prone to dropping with the weight of your hair. There’s a myth that the hotter the curling iron, the better the curl, so what actually helps the longevity of your curl is letting your curls cool down properly in a traditional curlset. Allow your curls to cool for at least 20 minutes before you style as it’s the cooling down that makes all the difference.
A working hairspray should be a medium hold hairspray which we can use during styling such as when setting backcombing, controlling flyaways or sculpting the hair into your chosen style. If we use a very strong hold spray whilst styling its going to be more difficult to smooth or mould the hair, as there’s actually too much hold (believe it or not), so it’s; best to use a medium hold spray to work with the hair. Your setting spray should be used when you are happy with the style and want to set it in place for all day stay, this is when we bring out the big guns and use a super strong hold hairspray!
Another way to ensure a long lasting hairdo i to set your finished style with hairspray and a hairdryer on a low power and high heat setting, Using a ‘setting’ hairspray, spray a fairly generous mist across your style and hold your hairdryer close to the hair, holding and sculpting the hair with your hand as you lock that hairspray in!
1. Big Sexy Hair ‘Spray and Play’ An aerosol medium hold hairspray, perfect to use as a working hairspray as it is quick drying so you won’t get sticky hair or fingers!
2. Big Sexy Hair ‘What a Tease’ Add a little extra oomph to your hair with this ‘backcomb in a bottle’
3. Batiste ‘XXL Volume Dry Shampoo’ Add great texture and volume with this multi-tasking product. Spray at the roots before backcombing for tons of big hair!
4. Kenra ‘Hot Spray’ The ultimate setting spray for curls! Spray on to dry hair and allow to dry before using heat tools.
5. Kenra ‘Ultra Freeze Hairspray’ This super hold hairspray is most hairstylists favourite! use as a finishing spray for incredible hold.
6. Got 2 Be ‘Glued’ Hairspray Another great ultra hold finishing hairspray to keep your hairdo in place all day,